UACTT Meeting MINUTES June 27, 2011
I. Conference Organization
A. Congrats and Thank you to everyone for this conference!
1. Please help others and REALLY reach out and get to know these teachers! They will look to the people with the badges.
2. Teacher Registration/Collecting Lesson Plans etc. Placing boxes etc.
3. Josh S, what do we need to do to assist with food, rooms, etc?
4. Opening Ceremonies announcements and news for teachers
1. Welcome by Phaidra
2. Welcome to SUU and USF by Josh S, to campus, maps. See a Shakes show!
3. Julie: What’s in your packet and how it all works
a. Workshops and Map, Lic points (needs to be signed by ws presenter or me for all conference things), feedback forms (box outside, if you leave early please fill in out and drop it in. If not, we will collect after the breakout session)
4. Rebecca Lane Change points and how it works
5. Josh Long raffle and how it works (Josh get names of winners)
6. Alyn Energy Conservation Skit and how it works
7. Phaidra, UMTA, our website/listserv/production gallery/calendar
8. Will introduce opening video
9. Will introduce Jason Butler our Keynote Speaker
B. Breakout Sessions Who, collect feedback forms and put them into the boxes. People in charge can go through questions before the sessions to weed out question.
C. Closing: Phaidra, thank you for coming (highlight teacher events,: ie, Shakespeare Competition, UTA, UHSAA, Sponsors, Board Members, etc. Robin video first, something more, award then showcase each person or other way around? How? UACTT conference member’s next year sponsors or money.
II. Business Items
A. Meeting Dates for next year need to be set
1. August 20th at 2:00 hosted by Alta High School
2. January 14th Saturday at 2:00 hosted by Pleasant Grove High School
3. April 21st at 2:00 hosted by Lone Peak High School
4. July 18 (Conference is the 18, 19, and 20th in Logan) Meeting on the 20th
B. Change to the by-laws about attendance. Due to major attendance problems, we still would like board members to attend 75% of the meetings (missing one meeting) and if you have 4 hours or more of travel time, you are allowed one virtual meeting (conference call/skype). If you miss 2 meetings, you will be on probation. Read over by-laws EVERYONE AGREED ON THIS. JOSH STAVROS WILL BE TYPING UP THE AMENDMENT AND WE WILL BE VOTING ON IT. WE ALSO AGREED TO HAVE ALL BOARD MEMBERS STAY ON FOR 3 YEARS, AFTER 3 YEARS, THEY COULD CHOOSE TO ROLL OF THE BOARD AND LET A MEMBER AT LARGE TAKE THEIR PLACE. HOWEVER, THEY CAN CHOOSE TO STAY ON THE BOARD AS LONG AS THEY LIKE, BUT HAVE TO RENEW EVERY THREE YEARS. WE ALSO AGREED TO BRING ON 4 MEMBERS AT LARGE WHO WILL NOT OFFICIALLY BE ON THE BOARD, BUT THEY WILL BE AT LARGE MEMBERS WHO WILL COME TO MEETINGS AND HELP WITH PROJECTS AND COMMITTEE ASSIGNMENTS. WHEN A BOARD MEMBER WOULD LIKE TO ROLL OFF, THEY CAN ROLL INTO THEIR POSITION. (WE NEED TO DECIDE WHO ROLLS IN FIRST OUT OF THE 4). THE BOARD MEMBERS WILL VOTE ON THE PRESIDENT AND TREASURER. THE 4 MEMBERS AT LARGE WILL BE A VOTE FOR THE ENTIRE UACTT BODY, MOST LIKELY TO TAKE PLACE AT UTA.
CURRENTLY PEOPLE INTERESTED IN BECOMING BOARD MEMBERS ARE:
Brittani Smith Mountain Ridge Jr. High School
Kara Poulsen Diamond Fork Jr. High School
Katie Thames Brighton High School
Katie Houghtaling Fossil Ridge Intermediate School
Kerry Goldman Green River High School
Angela Brown Bountiful High School
Karen Kidd Bingham High School
Joseph Crnich The DaVinci Academy
Sarah Hall Mountain Crest High School
Jewell Loveless Hillcrest Jr. High
Kjersti Parks Hunter High School
Kristi Shaw Syracuse High School
Becky Williams Cypress High School
Nan Wharton Skyview High School
Glen Carpenter Stansbury High School
We will need to figure out a way to do an application process or something to pick our 4 people for the board? Don’t know what to do. We will discuss at our August meeting.
If I am missing someone, please let me know.
Duties of the Executive Committee
Section 1: The Executive Committee shall participate in a minimum of 75% of posted meetings per year.
AMENDMENT: The Executive Committee shall participate in a minimum of 75% of posted meetings per year. If the board member cannot participate at the meeting in person, they have the option to attend the meeting via conference call or skype. This may only be done in lieu of one meeting per year.
If an executive committee member misses two meetings they will be put on probation. The third time the member misses the meeting, they will be asked to leave the board.
Section 3: Election Procedures, It shall be the duty of the Executive Committee to determine election procedures.
Terms of Office
Section 1: The Executive Committee. The term of office of President and of Treasurer shall be three years or until their successors are elected/appointed (said successors shall be qualified by at least one year of -Elect status). All other Officer and Representative positions may be held indefinitely. Non-compliance of duties of the office shall be reason for removal.
Officers of the Executive Committee and affiliated Representatives shall be elected at the annual business meeting of the membership.
1. We have had SEVERAL people pay dues within the last few months, especially due to our conference restriction. Our by-laws state that due is from Jan 1st to Dec 31st of each year. We are now coming upon our first renewal. How do we handle teachers who are just paying or pay very early on? Change or fix?
We have decided to keep it the same. If they pay and only get a few months, then they need to pay again when dues come due.
2. Elections are also mentioned in the bylaws. It states “Officers of the Ex Com and affiliated reps shall be elected at the annual business meeting of the membership. How do you want to handle this? Use the list serve and poll the teachers when dues goes out?
1. Rock White will be taking over our Facebook pages so we can better utilize it. We talked about having theater teacher tips, celebrating good things Utah theater teachers are doing and using it as a space for teachers who want to advertise community events and auditions, workshops etc. instead of using our listserv. He will be checking it each day and updating it each week. What other suggestions do you have?
Themes for the Conference
Artistic Thoughts of the Day
Audition Notices will only be run through the Facebook Page. Teachers want to use the list serve and we will redirect them to our Facebook Page.
Amanda has made Rock and administrator on the website.
Rock will start to learn his way around Facebook and better utilize it
2. Website: It will be updated this summer. We need to put new polls up each month (what do you suggest) and banners with info. Other suggestions? I am also going to ask for an administrative fee of $1,500 a year.
The board approved the administrative fee of 1,500 per year to Phaidra and Garrick for running the website.
3. Paypal for late registrants for conference?
This will be featured for next year’s conference.
E. Energy Conservation Information and setting dates: Alyn
1. Bingham High School will host on January 21st at 7:00 PM with schools being there early.
1. Production Gallery on the website. Please make it a project to submit costumes and props you would like rented out for this next fall so we can start utilizing this more. Take pictures then let me know what categories you would like and I will open you an account to upload them We need to be the example.
2. Tami, please go through and update all the teachers in our g-mail account, get rid of teachers who are no longer with us, and update our website. This needs to be done by the end of August.
Ogden High’s new drama teacher is Jed Broberg
Ben Lomand High is getting a new teacher
Christian Shiverdecker is gone from both Ogden and Ben Lomand
All Alpine School Districts are changing their e-mails. This needs to be updated.
3. Michelle and Alyn, please get in touch with all the new teachers. It might be good to have you both at the new teacher breakout sessions.
4. Jim, taxes and financial report for our August meeting. Please update dues lists with correct name spelling etc. Some are also listed twice.
5. Josh L, after conference, send out thank you letters and packets to all donors. Please have this done by end of August. Make an updated list and make contact sooner with everyone on donations.
6. Stewart, we need more mentoring help in the technical theater area on forums. Please be the main person who answers all of the tech questions for teachers so they know they have a person to go through. The rest of the board, please steps forward more on assisting in forums. That is why we are a board, to help others. Sometimes I will be the only person to answer.
7. Shelley and Mona, we need to know all the new small school teachers, contact info, as well as you giving them your contact info. Please get this info to Tami, Amanda, and myself by the time school starts.
8. Julie, please make contact with Dennis Hassen for next years conference and find out what he needs from us. Send him a packet from our conference this year so he gets and idea of what he needs to do.
Several Board Members will be going to Logan on Aug 3rd for professional development. We will try meeting with Dennis and Vanessa at 12:30 for lunch to discuss this upcoming conference.
9. Amanda, postcard to renew dues for teachers and e-mail out.
10. Josh S, can we put our info in the teacher packets for UHSF again this upcoming fall? YES
11. Adam, training and monitor for new judges test for UHSAA.
Phaidra, Josh Long, Josh Stavros, Stewart, Jim Smith and Alyn will be putting together a judges test (3) for teachers to vote on for the upcoming Drama Meet season.
Checking with Will Saxton to see if he will film training you tube video for upcoming judges.
III. Goals for next year
A. What projects do we want/need to work on for teachers this upcoming year? Do we wait for the feedback forms?
B. Be thinking of a new theme, workshop presenters, and keynote speaker for next year’s conference.
*Dealing with administrators/politics of teaching theater (requested)
I think Jan Hunsaker and Shelton Worthington should teach this together
C. A new way for donations for the conference. How to make it better.
Josh Long will bring a form with all the sponsors on it this year. We will assign people out to make sponsor contacts. We also want to grab big companies like Wal-Mart and Target etc. or more having to do with Theater or Education. We want to start a year in advance.
Jared and Todd will contact colleges a year in advance to see if they would be willing to sponsor.
Josh Stavros told us not to set a cost for the conference until we knew what would be charged first.
Next Meeting August, 20th at 2:00 PM at Alta High School