UACTT MEETING AGENDA JANUARY 14, 2012
In attendance: Julie, Jim, Phaidra, Adam, Mona, Shelly, Stewart, Andy, Jan, Alyn, Mindy, Josh S., Jared, Rock, Liz, Amanda, Robin, Rebecca
I. Randy and Energy Solutions fell through: Alyn Bone cover
II. New Board Member Applications: Tami (CONGRATS ON NEW MARRIAGE!!!)
A. Do we take all? Where do we put them on the board? Katie Thames, Kjersti Parks and Kristi Shaw will serve as members at large. They will be asked to help with various things on the board.
1. Help with Director of Communications (this is so hard to do alone, need two people on this, especially hunting down smaller schools.) Liz will help.
2. We have lost one small school rep, and we will have people moving off the board soon. Maybe the people who are moving off can train the new people? Ask Kara Poulsen to be new Jr High Rep
3. Conference Assistance Andy will take over Will's tasks and help Julie.
4. Robin leaving, job to Rock now for ordering plaques? Yes, as well as Jared and one member at large.
5. UACTT/UTA liaison will be Glen from Stansbury High
III. UTA Booth Coverage Assistance Robin, Josh and Andy will be at other booths and can help answer questions throughout.
B. Friday Jim, Phaidra
C. Saturday Morning
D. UTA Meeting and Workshop
A. Election Proceedings: Officially, the end of our three-year term will be December 2013. Josh and Stewart will take their new offices. At this UTA meeting, we will need to hold election proceedings for a new president and treasurer elect and the new board members we are bringing on. In addition, in our by-laws it says that we determine election procedures. Also, if anyone is rolling off the board, we will need to replace them with new board members. How would we like to proceed?
At the meeting say something like, " The board has nominated the following people...needs ratification...."
-Josh Stavros will write into bylaws a "past president" position.
-we will elect Pres-elect and Tres-Elect at conference meeting
B. ARTICLE VIII
Elections Officers of the Executive Committee and affiliated Representatives shall be elected at the annual business meeting of the membership.
1. Topics that were sent back to me by teachers via Face book, Forums, and E-mail were:
· Recruit Boys to Shows (the highest request)
· Favorite Plays or less known plays featuring lots of girls
· New and Appropriate LARGE CAST shows
· Plays and musicals pleasing to Utah audiences
· Musicals, Plays, One-Act ideas
· Getting your administration to care
· Musical Time Line, to do list
· Parents (committees, getting them involved, getting them to be helpful, communication with angry parents)
· Advertising for shows
· Balance and time management still getting quality out of shows and students
· Building a Department (especially full of men)
· Avoiding Burnout
· Costume Shortcuts without a budget, sewing skills (want resources, websites, and instructions)
· Putting on a show in a cafeteria with no lights, no sound, 2 hand held mics and no body mics
· Lesson Plans for beginning theatre
Brittni Smith’s comments:
· Now that my show is over, where do I store all this stuff? (Effective storage and organization methods) don't forget to refer people back to website and try to rent and sell your stuff.
· Ways to grade quickly, and still give personal feedback
· How to allow every student an opportunity to perform without it taking up an entire period or many class periods. (Jr. High kids get restless watching other groups for an entire period)
· How to get buy-in from parents, faculty and students about upcoming productions
· Fun ways to introduce your season
· Fun Traditions Amanda will type up a form for bell activity on traditions. Include "how to introduce your season and fun ways to do this."
· Effective methods to motivating students to keep commitments, and what to do if they don’t.
· How to be in charge of a busy auditorium (scheduling, upkeep, assigning techs, keeping stage set up for different events.
2. How do we want to run this workshop? Do we want to pick a few topics and then we as a board come with handouts and ideas and then let a few others share ideas? How many topics do we want to cover? start it off by reading 3 or 4 fun tradition forms. Alyn will write a short song/skit for ending the workshop.
3. Order of the Workshop: (Can we open with a fun short skit again? Something fun to gain attention? Any ideas?)
a. Business add in nomination forms for teachers to fill out while sitting there.
1. Voting in new board members
2. Discussion of Website Lesson Plans
6. Conference Information and handouts (Will and Julie)
A. Nomination Forms
7. Questions (some may have some on the new UHSAA format)
8. Trade Secrets Workshop (Guide will be Josh Stravos) Should start this by 11
IV. Summer Conference: Julie and Will- Assignments and review
Sponsor Due dates:
-April 27th contact sponsor and get info to Julie
-May 14th all ads to Julie and all money to Jim
Julie- ask Nan Warton and Mitzi Meecum for help finding sponsors in Cache county.
-We are all in charge of going to Walmarts, Home Depots, Lowes. We really need money for meals(they cost about $1000 each).
-Registration for conference via Paypal on the website will be up by UTA
-Alyn and Adam will work on icebreakers
-Rock will start sending out conference reminders in Feb. *Have member at large do PR handouts
-Teacher award nominations: teachers nominate themselves and/or others. We will contact principals of teachers who win and ask them to write a letter.
V. Lane Change Credit/Licensure: Rebecca Webber She wrote up a great flyer explaining the difference between the two. She will send it out via email to have members review.
VI. UTA Workshop Suggestions for midyear or summer
A. They would like to see us do a mid-year technical theatre hands on workshop for beginners. For example, collaborating with a college and having hands on experience from the college professors like: this is how you hang a light, focus a light. This is how to run a soundboard, etc. Will tell UTA board that we can try doing this next year. Might try to join up with Shakespeare workshops.
B. They would also like us to do a workshop to teach teachers HOW to teach their students how to audition. They are frustrated with the work they see coming in for college auditions. They would like us to cover this workshop and even have a few theater teacher’s prepare monologues and tech displays that are bad, medium, good and excellent, and perform/display them for teachers so that they get what to do. This they would like to see at our summer conference…maybe next year?? We can create a state standard on auditioning. The sub-commitee in charge of deciding this is: Jared, Jan, Mindy, Stewart and Andy.
C. Big discussion on UTA auditions. We need to clarify to the acting students that this is a "step in the door" audition, not a scholarship audition.
VII. Other Jobs etc..
A. Rebecca: E-mail out to teachers to get lesson plans in? Setting things up for next year
B. Putting the training video together for UHSAA
C. New Test for UHSAA
D. New Teacher update? Contact information etc. Tami
E. Contacting new board members (me)
F. Conference Stuff
G. Small School Reps educating other reps on new format
I. Professional Development: UACTT would like to send board members to workshops around the country to receive training and then come back and teach us at the 2013 conference. Teachers will look for workshops themselves and will apply for UACTT to sponsor them with a "scholarship." A subcommittee will write up an application/contract that states that the teachers will come back and teach at the conference and they will also need to sit on the subcommittee the following year. If these requirements are not met they will have to pay the money back. Josh Stavros will have completed application looked at by a lawyer to make sure it is a legal and binding document.
Forums: We would like to have the ability to click on the thread from the email and go straight to forum.
-Need a search button on forums
-ask a member at large to help make sure everyone's questions are getting answered on the forums.
**Once again, we Really need board members to answer forums more**
Next Meeting: April 21st at Lone Peak 2pm